Monday, May 8, 2023

First day at OSS - 5/8/23

For my senior project, I wanted to reconnect with the MET school in Providence RI, with whom we got the opportunity to partner with over the winter during Ocean Classroom. Unfortunately, the MET school was not able to have me there for two weeks, so I changed up my idea a bit. My grandmother is on the board of a school by the name of Our Sisters' School, located in New Bedford, Massachusetts. It is an all girls school, grades 5-8. Their mission statement is as follows: "Our mission, as an independent, tuition-free, non-sectarian middle school, is to educate and inspire economically disadvantaged girls from the New Bedford area. Our Sisters’ School empowers students to step into the future with valuable life skills and a mindset of achievement and excellence by providing a safe, supportive and academically challenging environment."  Today was my first day at Our Sisters' School. I ended up spending the day with the fifth graders, going to each of their classes, answering questions, helping with math worksheets and projects, and listening in on a guest speaker that was brought in to talk about health. I ate lunch outside with everyone and played volleyball and four square, which was a very popular game among all the girls. Another part of the day that I really enjoyed was CBC. Every Monday when the weather is nice, the girls go sailing after school. OSS collaborates with the Community Boating Center of New Bedford, and they "apply advanced science and design concepts through weekly hands-on, experiential learning planned in close collaboration with our own science and STEAM instructors. They develop not only a deeper appreciation for Buzzards Bay and our local marine heritage but also for each other and their own sense of agency." The connections I started to make today are really special, and I am excited to continue getting to know these girls and the OSS community over the next two weeks.


Hours today: 8.5


Sources:

https://www.oursistersschool.org/


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home